Almond Coconut Cake
A moist and tender cake with almonds, coconut and maple syrup.
For the Cake:
- 2¾ cup Almond Flour
- 6 tbs Coconut Flour
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cup confectioners sugar sifted
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 12 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ tsp pure almond extract
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 6 oz sweetened shredded coconut
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz of cream cheese room temperature
- 8 oz of neufchâtel cheese room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp pure almond extract
- 3½ cups of confectioners sugar sifted
- 2 oz sweetened shredded coconut for decoration.
- 4 oz toasted slivered almonds.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F, grease two 9" round cake pans and cut pertinent paper rounds for the bottoms.
- **You will be baking this 25-30 minutes (or until the center is set).
- Sift the dry ingredients
- Add flours, cream of tartar, and salt in bowl.
- In bowl of electric mixer beat butter on high until butter is lighter and creamed, about 3-5 minutes.
- Lower speed of mixer to low and add eggs and extracts until mixed, and then slowly add confectioner sugar until blended.
- Alternating between, flour mix, yogurt and milk add in thirds (1/3 flour, ⅓ sour cream, ⅓ milk) until, blended.
- Stir in the coconut.
- Divide mixture between two prepared pans.
- Allow to cool on a rack.
- For the Frosting:
- Beat the softened butter and cheese until smooth and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the sugar and beat until desired consistency is reached.
- Let's start assembling this cake.
- Spread icing on the bottom layer, sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Add second layer and read with icing.
- ice the sides and smooth as much as possible.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Press the toasted almonds onto the side of the cake.
- Usa a star tip to pipe icing onto the edge of the cake and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: A Healthy Life For Me