A Couple Tips:
- If you see little clumps of butter after you mix the wet ingredients don’t panic, it all works out by the time you mix in the dry ingredients. You can even use melted butter and warm the milk and sour cream up a bit if you like.
- You can substitute whole milk yogurt for the sour cream if desired, I do it all the time and can’t really tell the difference.
If you’ve tried these cupcakes then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Candy Cane Cupcakes:
Peppermint cupcakes with a refreshing candy cane topping!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup crushed candy cane ½ added in at the end of the batter, ½ sprinkled on the top and swirled.
- 1 ¼ whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
For the Buttercream:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 1 lb confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon peppermint oil
- ¼ cup milk
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat to 360 degrees F. Add cupcake papers to a cupcake pan.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, then mix in sugar.
- Add in vanilla and sour cream. Mix until creamy.
- Mix in egg whites slowly, then mix on medium until combined.
Alternate adding milk and flour. Add baking powder and mix until batter is fully combined.
- Fold in ½ of the crushed candy cane. Do not overmix.
- Using an ice cream scooper, fill papers with batter. Make sure to not overfill.
- Sprinkle the other ½ crushed candy cane into papers. Swirl with a toothpick.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool.
For the Frosting:
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter.
Add the confectioners sugar on low.
- Slowly pour in milk, peppermint oil and vanilla.
- Beat until combined and fluffy.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!