Peppermint cupcakes with a refreshing candy cane topping!
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup crushed candy cane ½ added in at the end of the batter, ½ sprinkled on the top and swirled.
- 1 ¼ whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 1 lb confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon peppermint oil
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat to 360 degrees F. Add cupcake papers to a cupcake pan.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, then mix in sugar.
- Add in vanilla and sour cream. Mix until creamy.
- Mix in egg whites slowly, then mix on medium until combined.
Alternate adding milk and flour. Add baking powder and mix until batter is fully combined.
- Fold in ½ of the crushed candy cane. Do not overmix.
- Using an ice cream scooper, fill papers with batter. Make sure to not overfill.
- Sprinkle the other ½ crushed candy cane into papers. Swirl with a toothpick.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter.
Add the confectioners sugar on low.
- Slowly pour in milk, peppermint oil and vanilla.
- Beat until combined and fluffy.