OK so I’m calling this a cheese and onion quiche but it is packed with TONS of veggies. Beautiful Swiss chard, delicious mushrooms and zucchini. This was so good that immediately regretted sharing…. This might sound crazy but my favorite part of the quiche might be the crust! The lemon zest I added made a monumental difference, you’ve got to try a lemony pate brisee if nothing else. I want to say a bit about the baking. It’s going to depend on the size of your quiche. I made a VERY deep one and it took about an hour in the oven. I will say that as it cools the filling sets up more so don’t be afraid of a bit of wobble. You can also tent your crust for part of the baking to prevent burning but it’s kinda optional depending on the bake time you’ll need.
Maybe the perfect vegetable quiche, with just the right amount of cheese and a flakey lemony crust.
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 ⅓ cup flour
- 9 tbsp butter cold or frozen
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup shallots
- 2 cups Swiss chard
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 zucchini medium
- 1 summer squash medium
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 marinated artichoke hearts
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan fresh, grated
- ½ cup gouda
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme fresh, chopped
- Preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Zest a whole lemon
- In a small bowl, combine the juice from 1 lemon and an egg. Whisk together.
- In a large bowl add flour, grated butter (cold), salt. Mix with your hands.
- Drizzle in lemon mixture. Add in lemon zest.
- Work the dough with your fingers, kneading in the bowl to break down the butter.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and roll into a disk while it’s at room temperature.
- Transfer to the fridge until firm.
- Roughly chop an onion.
- Add to a well buttered pan.
- Over medium heat, cook for about 10 min.
- Slice shallots and set aside. These will be added to onions just before they’re finished.
After about 10 min, add shallots and a pinch of salt into the carmelized onions. Cook for another 10-15 min.
- Transfer them to a bowl to rest.
- Roughly chop swiss chard, parsley, mushrooms, zucchini and summer squash. Add everything to a bowl.
- Add butter to a pan.
Combine vegetables, a pinch of salt and a pinch of white pepper in the buttered pan. Cover with a lid to cook down.
- After veggies have cooked, add balsamic vinegar.
Roll out the dough on a pastry mat. Prick with a fork before adding to pan.
Carefully work the dough into a quiche pan.
Transfer back to the fridge to chill.
- Take the thyme leaves off of the vein. Chop up. Grate parmesan and gouda
- In a large bowl, add eggs, cheeses, heavy cream, parsley and thyme.
- Give it a whisk.
- Roughly chop artichoke hearts.
Add in the artichokes, caramelized onions and vegetables.
- Add mixture to crust.
- Tent with tin foil and bake for about 20 min at 375 degrees F.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for about 40 min.