A wonderful dye-free cake I made with Catherine from Weelicious for her daughter’s birthday. She loved it! Let me know if you do, too.
A moist vanilla cake with raspberry buttercream.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup butter
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup raspberry reduction approximately
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Butter and flour three six inch pans. I use cake strips on my pans for more even baking as well. Preheat oven to 350F
- Beat butter until light and fluffy
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the butter until well incorporated, scrape the bowl at least once.
- Beat the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet to the butter mixture and mix until just combined and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the cake pans
- Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch.
Add the ingredients to a small sauce pot. Mash the raspberries with a muddler or the back of a spoon. Bring to a boil then simmer until reduced by a third to a half. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, reduction and mix.
- Reserve about a cup of the buttercream for the white dollops. Which will be piped with an 869 tip.
Top with raspberries and place dye-free sprinkles on the side.