Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, chocolate ganache. Sometimes you gotta keep it simple.
Chocolate makes a dessert sinfully delicious!
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, measured correctly (220 grams)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar (350 grams)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch processed) (65 grams)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 ml)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil, or melted coconut oil) (120 ml)
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed, strong, hot coffee (240 ml)
- 4 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 6-8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa podwer
- 5-6 TBS heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS butter
- Butter and flour 6 four inch pans. (You can use larger pans and just cut the cakes down to size if you don't have 4 inch pans.) Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Beat the eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. Stir in the hot coffee last.
- Distribute the batter evenly to the pans. and bake for about 25 minutes or until the centers are baked.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar, cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and melted chocolate.
Melt the chocolate, butter and cream together in a bowl. You can use a double boiler or a microwave in short 30 second bursts at half power.
For the cake:
1 and 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
1 and 3/4 cup (350g) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (65g) unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch processed)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil (or canola oil, or melted coconut oil)
2 large eggs, at room temperature2
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup (240ml) freshly brewed strong hot coffee3
For the frosting:
4 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
6-8 cups confectioners’ sugar
1.5 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
5-6 Tablespoons heavy cream (or half-and-half)
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
For the ganache:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup cream
2 tablespoon butter