Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, chocolate ganache. Sometimes you gotta keep it simple.
Chocolate Chocolate Cake
Moist chocolate cake, a rich chocolate buttercream with a nice drizzle of ganche to top everything.
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all- purpose flour, measured correctly (220 grams)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar (350 grams)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch processed) (65 grams)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 ml)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil, or melted coconut oil) (120 ml)
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed, strong, hot coffee (240 ml)
For the Frosting
- 4 sticks butter unsalted, room temperature
- 6-8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa podwer
- 5-6 TBS heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 tsp kosher salt to taste
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
For the Ganache
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS butter unsalted, room temperature
For the Cake
Butter and flour four 6-inch pans. (You can use larger pans and just cut the cakes down to size if you don't have 6- inch pans.) Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Beat the eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. Stir in the hot coffee last.
Distribute the batter evenly to the pans. and bake for about 30 minutes or until the centers are baked.
For the Buttercream
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar, cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and melted chocolate.
For the Ganache
Melt the chocolate, butter and cream together in a bowl. You can use a double boiler or a microwave in short 30 second bursts at half power.