So I’m wondering… Can call this diet chocolate mousse if there’s no butter in it?? I ate almost a pint in one sitting, it tastes SO RICH but still silky and light! Anyhow this creamy concoction is chocolatey to the extreme and my goodness it’s good. Especially with a truly giant dollop of whipped cream and some chocolate shavings. If you’d like some crunch to complement all that smooth chocolate definitely whip up a batch of my spiced shortbread cookies with toasted pecans! You can make the mousse ahead of time and top with whipped cream before serving.
The creamiest chocolate mousse I've ever had with a touch of brandy, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings
- 8 oz dark chocolate nice quality
- ¼ cup brandy
- ¼ cup coffee very strong
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 eggs divided
- ¾ cup sugar divided
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream divided
- 3 tsp Cointreau or orange liqueur divided
Place a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water.
Add chocolate, brandy, coffee and vanilla to the bowl.
- Let it simmer in the double boiler until the chocolate is mostly melted. Take the bowl off the heat and give the mixture a whisk.
In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add 8 egg yolks and ½ cup sugar. Whip on high for about 4 minutes or until a light lemon color.
Slowly drizzle in the chocolate mixture on low.
Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add a whisk attachment and a clean bowl to your standing mixer.
- Add 1 cup egg whites, 1 ½ tbsp sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Whip until stiff but not over whipped peaks.
Fold in ¼ of the whipped mixture to the chocolate mixture. Lightly whisk together.
- Fold in the remaining whipped mixture to the chocolate until combined.
- Put the egg white bowl back on the stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add 1/2 cup cream, 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp orange liqueur. Whip until peaks form.
- Fold the whipped mixture into the chocolate mixture. This will give the mousse more structure and creaminess.
- Give the mousse mixture a quick whisk.
- Pour into serving cups. Chill for about 1-2 hours.
- Add 3/4 cup heavy cream, sugar and 1 tsp quantro to a cold bowl. Whip on high.
- For the Assembly:
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to the top of each mousse cup.
- Sprinkle on some shaved chocolate.