Growing up, my parents would take my brother and me to our grandparents’ house for Sunday dinner. My grandfather would be standing outside — waiting — eager to greet us!? My grandmother always had some new cake ready while my grandfather had prepared some traditional greek dishes for dinner. One of my favorites was THIS lemon chicken. I loved that it was so lemony! When paired with “manestra” (a tomato-based orzo pasta) and a nice greek salad, this dish was Heaven on Earth. To soften and caramelize the potatoes, I added some lemon slices. Potatoes absorb all the flavors from the pan. I will definitely be adding them to my other roasted chicken recipes! What’s your favorite Sunday family dinner dish?? ????
Lemons, onion, garlic and fresh oregano complement the chicken in this traditional greek dish.
I’m not sure there can ever be enough lemons in my kitchen!
My grandfather would make this dish with large poatores that were skinned and quartered but I love how creamy these fingerling potatoes are when baked.
The lemon slices mixed in with the potatoes and onion absorb all the chicken’s flavors and looese their bitterness when cooked. Totally delicious!
The aftermath! My only regret was not zesting those lemons before juicing. So many uses from lemon zest…
Lovely! I paired this with my FAVORITE lemony tomato orzo. Putting that recipe on the to do list.
Hope you enjoy!
Steps To Make This Lemon Chicken
How Do You Make Lemon Chicken?
- Start off by preheating the oven to 380 degrees F. Wash the chicken and potatoes then pat them dry with a paper towel. Place the chicken in a roasting pan.
- Cut the four lemons into halves and one into slices. Save the slices to bake with the chicken and juice the halves into a small bowl.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and toss with several tablespoons of olive oil then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Crush the leaves of several sprigs of oregano, sprinkle them over the potatoes and give them a toss. Repeat this same step with the onion slices.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil then add the potatoes to the pan with the chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, place the lemon slices on the chicken and pour the lemon juice on top and all around both the chicken and potatoes.
- Add the onions to the roasting pan and sprinkle minced garlic all over. Bake at 380F for about 15-20 minutes per pound of chicken. Move the potatoes and onions around in the pan halfway through baking.
If you’ve tried this lemon chicken then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 1/2 cup olive oil 118mL
- 1 garlic head peeled and minced
- 1 large onion Cut into eight wedges
- 2 tbsp ground pepper 13g
- 1 tbsp salt 18g, plus more to taste
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes 500g
- 4 lemons juiced
- 1 lemon sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 380F
- Wash the potatoes and pat dry. Place in a large bowl along with onion slices and toss with several tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Crush the leaves of several sprigs of oregano and sprinkle over potatoes. Toss and place in roasting pan.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and place in roasting pan. Rub with olive oil, pour lemon juice on top and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle garlic over chicken and potatoes. Place lemon slices on chicken in in rosting pan with potatoes.
- Bake at 380F for about 15-20 minutes per pound of chicken. Move potaotes and onion around in the pan halfway through baking.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!