Cute Jack O Lantern sugar cookies decorated with a simple sugar glaze. I am not a big fan of royal icing, it has a fussy consistency, and the taste is pretty meh… I mixed up a simple sugar laze and piped that on instead. Much easier and tastes good to me! I will caution that you have to work quickly as it dries fairly fast.
I have SO MANY cookie cutters and yet never the one I’m looking for… I’ve give up buying more and have resorted to making my own! I just find an outline that I like, in this case for a pumpkin, then print and cut out. I cover the shape in tape before cutting so it doesn’t absorb the butter. Use a sharp knife or xacto blade to cut the cookies out. So easy, economical and space-saving!
Jack O lantern Sugar Cookies
Fun Jack O Lantern sugar cookies you can make without a cookie cutter!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 1 egg room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate
- ½ cup gold sanding sugar
For the Glaze:
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 5 drops orange food coloring for the body
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- While the mixer is running add the egg then the vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and scrape the bowl down.
- Place the cookie dough on parchment. Roll flat with a rolling pin.
See below for the link to print out the pumpkin outline I used.
With an exacto knife, cut around the perimeter to create the shape.
Cut out different faces.
- Chill on baking sheet for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
For the Glaze:
Add half and half to confectioners sugar in tablespoon increments while mixing. Add some to a piping bag (this is for the stem). Add orange food coloring until you have reached a desired color.
For the Assembly:
Start by piping the white chocolate onto the stem of the cookie. Cover with golden sanding sugar.
Cover with golden sanding sugar.
Pipe the outline. Quickly flood and smooth the center.
Click here to print out the pumpkin stencil.