I wanted to make an easy holiday cake that didn’t look too kitschy. Thus, I decided to go with a classic, vanilla buttercream cake with peppermint! It seemed like the perfect solution. What do you think?
Peppermint Buttercream Cake
An innovative cake to please all your guests.
- 1 box Duncan Hines Classic White Cake Mix
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbs Vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar.
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup crushed candy canes
- 1/2 tsp peppermint oil
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour sides and bottom of each cake pan.
- Blend cake mix, water, oil and egg whites in a large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds).
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter in pans and bake immediately.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Beat the softened butter, powdered sugar, peppermint oil until light and fluffy. Add cream and beat until you reach desired consistency.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the icing out.
- Sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.
- Ice the cake and sprinkle with the remaining candy cane.