Whenever I make a pie or tart I always make a larger batch of dough than the recipe requires. This way I can have a disk or two of dough ready for an impromptu treat. And by the way I LOVE pastry crust, I know this because there is no self restraint when a pie or tart is on the table, I will eat all of it (as observed by my husband…) I’ve been super busy trying to complete my cookbook proposal, but the silver lining is an abundance of ingredients in the fridge from all the recipes I’m shooting. So I rolled out some dough, and made myself a morning treat. This is mostly fresh berries so I imagine it being pretty nutritionally close to a smoothie; sound logic? ????
I’ve been soooo busy with baby stuff, house headaches and trying to my cookbook proposal AHHHH! Luckily I can just eat my feelings…
Simple Berry Tart
Summer berries are the star of this simple tart!
For the crust:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 24 Tbs unsalted butter 3 sticks, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup ice water
- 3 tsp sugar optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the Crust:
- Mix the dough.
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse briefly to mix (you can also do this by hand with two forks). Scatter the butter over the top and pulse just until the mixture forms coarse crumbs about the size of peas.
- Drizzle the ice water over the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface. Gently press together and work the dough. Remember the more you manipulate the dough the less flaky and amazing it will be.
DIVIDE INTO 3 EQUAL PIECES AND PRESS EACH INTO A FLAT DISK. SET 1 DISK ASIDE AND WRAP THE REMAINING 2 DISKS IN PLASTIC WRAP FOR FUTURE USE. I WRAPPED UP ALL THREE AND LET THE DOUGH REST IN THE FRIDGE OVERNIGHT.
- Roll out the dough.
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 13-inch round.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a thickness of about a quarter of an inch. Cut circles about two inches larger than your tart pans and transfer to tart tin.
Use a fork to polk holes in the bottom and bake at 425 for 5 minutes then lower temp to 350F and bake another 8 min. Remove from oven and fill with prepared berries and top with zest. Bake for another 10 minutes.
This recipe makes a massive amount of pastry crust. If you're going to the trouble of making your own might as well have a big batch that you can portion out and chill for later!