There are so many modifications you can make to this dish, here are a few. Using wild or black rice will add a lot of texture, you can top with breadcrumbs and grated parmesan, add some caramelized inions and deglaze the pan with a splash of wine or brandy, add mushrooms (a favorite of mine but a deal-breaker for some…) Let me know what additions you end up making and hope you enjoy!
The perfect appetizer for a table of guests!
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 can 14 ounces tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds slivered
- 1 cup brown rice cooked before
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 4 medium green bell peppers halved lengthwise, stem and seeds removed
- 2 tomatoes halved, cleaned out
- Preheat 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together spices and sea salt.
- In a medium sized pan, cook ground turkey.
- Mix in spice mixture and tomato sauce with a wooden spoon.
- Mix in raisins and almond slivers.
- Add cooked rice and egg and mix together.
Cut tomatoes and peppers in half. Clean out insides. Lay out on a baking pan.
- Fill with meat mixture.
- Add water to the pan and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45, take out and add feta, bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden.