There are so many modifications you can make to this dish, here are a few. Using wild or black rice will add a lot of texture, you can top with breadcrumbs and grated parmesan, add some caramelized inions and deglaze the pan with a splash of wine or brandy, add mushrooms (a favorite of mine but a deal-breaker for some…) Let me know what additions you end up making and hope you enjoy!
Steps to make these stuffed tomatoes and peppers
How do you make stuffed tomatoes and peppers?
- Start off by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the ground turkey in a medium sized pan and mix together the spices and sea salt in a small bowl.
- When the ground turkey starts to brown, mix in the spice mixture. Make sure to get a nice even sprinkle all around.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and give it a good mix with a wooden spoon to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Pour in the raisins and almond slivers and give the ground turkey another mix.
- Wash the tomatoes and peppers then cut them in half. Clean out the insides with a spoon and place them out on a baking pan.
- Fill the tomatoes and peppers with the meat mixture.
- Add some water to the pan carefully cover it with foil then put them in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Take the tomatoes and peppers out, remove the foil then add the feta cheese. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until golden, then enjoy!
If you’ve tried these stuffed tomatoes and peppers then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 can 14 ounces tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds slivered
- 1 cup brown rice cooked before
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 4 medium green bell peppers halved lengthwise, stem and seeds removed
- 2 tomatoes halved, cleaned out
- Preheat 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together spices and sea salt.
- In a medium sized pan, cook ground turkey.
- Mix in spice mixture and tomato sauce with a wooden spoon.
- Mix in raisins and almond slivers.
- Add cooked rice and egg and mix together.
- Cut tomatoes and peppers in half. Clean out insides. Lay out on a baking pan.
- Fill with meat mixture.
- Add water to the pan and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45, take out and add feta, bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!