This simple — yet delicious — vanilla cake is covered and filled with white chocolate buttercream. I’m surprised I haven’t made before! Shame on me. It is so easy to make. The taste and consistency is great, too! This was also my first time decorating a cake with “scales.” I loved the way it looked. It was also forgiving — on a technical level — so it was a win-win!
If you find cake decorating to be a bit intimidating then check out my How to Decorate a Cake post, it has lots of helpful tips and a full how to video.
A Few Tips and Pointers
- If you’re not using 6-inch pans, double the recipe for 8-inch pans or triple the recipe for 9-inch pans.
- If you see little clumps of butter after you mix the wet ingredients don’t panic, it all works out by the time you mix in the dry ingredients. You can even use melted butter and warm the milk and sour cream up a bit if you like.
- You can substitute whole milk yogurt for the sour cream if desired, I do it all the time and can’t really tell the difference.
- To get FLAT layers that are moist inside and out try using cake strips! You can buy a set on the shop page or make your own from foil and paper towels at home. I made a whole blog post on it so check it out if you’re interested!
If you’ve tried this cake then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
White Chocolate Ombre Cake
A moist and fluffy vanilla cake wrapped in a sumptuous white chocolate buttercream.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1.3 TBS vanilla extract
For the Buttercream:
- 3 sticks salted butter
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 12 ounces white chocolate melted with 1/4 cup cream and cooled.
- Food coloring if desired
For the buttercream
- Melt the white chocolate and cream together at very low heat, set aside.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the sugar a cup at a time and beat well. Drizzle in the white chocolate and beat until combined.
Separate the buttercream into 3 equal batches and color two of the batches with pink food coloring in different shades for the ombré.
For the Cake
Butter and flour 3 six-inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 350F
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined.
Divide the mixture into 3 6″ cake pans that have been buttered and floured.
- Bake at 340 for about 25-30 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch.
Pipe the petals using large round tip.
For the cake:
1 cup sugar
2 cups sifted flour
1 cup almond flour
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon baking powder
1.3 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
3 sticks salted butter
2 pounds powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
12 oz white chocolate melted with 1/4 cup cream and cooled.
Food coloring if desired.