Hunan Chicken with Veggies
Hunan Chicken - a delicious and wholesome Chinese takeout favorite made easy at home. This stir-fry is packed with flavor and is sure to satisfy that takeout craving without any of the bloated feeling afterward!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch divided
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- 2 tsp. sesame oil divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 21/2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic divided
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger divided
- 8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 8 mini sweet bell peppers halved or quartered
- 1 cup water chestnuts
- Sliced scallions for garnish
In a small bowl, stir together chicken stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, 4 teaspoons cornstarch, sriracha, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Set aside.
Season chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and pepper; toss with remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat; add 3 tablespoons canola oil.
Add chicken and half of garlic and ginger; cook until white but not fully cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet; set aside.
Add remaining garlic and ginger to skillet; cook 1 minute. Add remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, water chestnuts, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
Return to chicken to skillet; add sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 4 minutes. Serve over rice; garnish with scallions.
- You can use any vegetables you like in this recipe it's a great way to use up leftovers.
- Turkey or pork would also work well instead of chicken.
- To keep this Hunan chicken clean and wholesome serve it with some brown rice and scallions.
- You can make this in advance and store it in the fridge or freezer.
- Leftovers will store well in the fridge for 2-3 days or can be frozen in suitable containers.
Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 6049mg | Potassium: 992mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 2305IU | Vitamin C: 141.9mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.4mg