A creamy, custardy yolk-based buttercream that's too dreamy not to make!
Servings 1 batch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100g
- 3 tbsp water 45mL
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup unsalted butter 227g, room temperature and cubed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
- pinch of salt optional
Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan. Heat over low heat while stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium- high and bring to a boil
Put egg yolks in a stand-mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat until thick and foamy.
Cook the sugar and water syrup until it reaches 240 degrees F. Immediately remove from heat. With mixer running, SLOWLY drizzle hot syrup into bowl with yolks.
Continue mixing until the bottom of the bowl is cool to the touch and the yolk mixture has cooled to room temperature.
Add in butter one cube at a time allowing each piece to incorporate before adding the next. Add vanilla and salt. Continue mixing until buttercream is smooth and creamy. (About 5-6 minutes.)
- THE BUTTER!! It has to be soft but not super soft about to melt. When you press into it the butter should yield but only after you apply a bit of pressure.
- Don't let the sugar go past 240F, if you do things will get chunky.
- When you add the sugar syrup in run the mixer on LOW, you don't want hot sugar splattering all over the place.
- The recipe doesn't make a huge batch so if you're trying to ice a small naked cake make a double batch.
Serving: 35grams | Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 116g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 9mg | Potassium: 4mg | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Calcium: 10mg