You'll love this refreshing crunchy cucumber salad with pickled onions and fresh dill. Just the right hint of sweetness and tang make the perfect for any number of dishes.
Servings 10 people
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup water 60mL
- 1/2 cup vinegar 120mL
- 1/3 cup sugar 78mL
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Salad
- 2 English Cucumbers large
- 1 red onion small
- 1/4 cup dill fresh
- 3 tbsp mint
Add water, vinegar, and sugar to a medium pot. Place on medium high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved, then remove from heat.
Halve and thinly slice one small red onion. Place onion sliced in the vinegar solution, mix and set aside.
Remove some skin from the cucumbers leaving dark stripes. Thinly slice the English cucumbers.
Place cucumbers in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss then cover and chill for 30-40 minutes.
After sufficient resting time drain excess juice from cucumbers.
Chop the fresh dill and mint. Pour dressing and onions on cucumbers. Sprinkle with dill and mint. Toss and serve.
- Sweat your cucumbers out! This will reduce the amount of water in them and yield a taster, less watered down salad that keeps longer.
- English cucumbers are a bit more delicate and have a thinner skin. If you can't find them or don't want to pay the surcharge, then use regular cucumbers and pell off all that waxy skin.
- Try serving the salad with nice croutons for added crunch, carbs and general loveliness.
- If you ever want to season some plain rice try tossing it with the dressing from this recipe, it's really delicious.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 43kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 113mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 175IU | Vitamin C: 3.6mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 0.3mg