A deliciously decadent buttercream with big notes of chocolate and coffee.
For the Buttercream:
- 2 cups butter unsalted 454g
- 2 lb confectioners sugar 907g
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla 15mL
- 3 tbsp heavy cream 45mL
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Mocha Buttercream:
Sift the confectioners’ sugar, salt, cocoa and espresso powder into a bowl.
Whip the butter for about 5 minutes using a paddle attachment (in a standing mixer).
Beat in the sugar mixture slowly.
Add vanilla and drizzle in the cream while beating until desired consistency is reached. If the you want the buttercream to have a stronger espresso taste, add as much as you would like!
- Sift the cocoa powder, and powdered sugar before adding to the butter. Both can hav lumps that will clog piping tips and disturb the consistency.
- If your buttercream has a grainy texture add a tablespoon of cream and mix. Keep adding cream, or coffee if desired while mixing until the consistency is to your satisfaction.
- If possible, use a high-quality Dutch processed cocoa powder.
- Don't have unsalted butter on hand? Use salted butter and skip that 1/2 tsp. You can add additional salt to taste at the end if needed.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 247mg | Potassium: 20mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 49g | Vitamin A: 665IU | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.1mg