The tastiest pasta salad filled with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, cucumber, olives and a homemade Italian dressing.
Servings 12 people
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar white vinegar or red wine vinegar work
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper plus more to taste
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 red onion medium to small in size, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
For the Pasta Salad:
- 1 pound pasta rotini or another small shape
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes halved or quartered about 1.5 cups
- 1 English cucumber
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls or mini balls.
- 3 ounces salami sliced
- 1 cup kalamata olives pitted, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup pepperocinis drained and sliced
For the dressing:
Chop the red onion and mince your garlic cloves.
Add the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, herbs and honey to a large jar. Dump in the onions and garlic then shake well and set aside.
For the Pasta Salad:
Cook your pasta in a large pot or well-salted water. I prefer rotini but any smaller pasta shape works. Drain the pasta then transfer to a large bowl or back to the pot. Drizzle with oil and toss.
Cut the mini mozzarella balls in half then halve the cherry tomatoes and olives. Slice the pepperoncinis, cut the pepperoni slices into strips and give the parsley a rough chop.
Add all the ingredients to the pasta in a large bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Toss well and either enjoy immediately or cover and chill for up to three days.
- Don't overcook your pasta. You're going to want a nice al dente toothiness to the pasta so it holds up after mixing and marinating for up to three days.
- If you're sensitive to onion taste then chop them first and let them marinate in the vinegar for about 10-50 minutes. THey'll loose a lot of their bite. You can also substitute them for shallots, which have a gentler taste.
- Make this ahead! Like soup, it tastes better the next day after the flavors have had a chance to meld together.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 604mg | Potassium: 220mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 316IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg