Bird's Nest Easter Cake
Moist chocolate cake covered in a rich chocolate buttercream and topped with a gaggle of chocolate eggs. Perfect for an Easter treat.
Servings 4 cakes
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder not dutch processed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil, or melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong, hot coffee
For the Frosting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5-6 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate melted and cooled
For the Cake
Butter and flour 6 four inch pans. (You can use larger pans and just cut the cakes down to size if you don't have 4 inch pans.) Preheat oven to 350F.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda.
Beat the eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. Stir in the hot coffee last.
Distribute the batter evenly to the pans. and bake for about 25 minutes or until the centers are baked.
For the Buttercream
Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar, cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and melted chocolate.
- I cut down a small cake layer to make my nest but it's MUCH faster to use a donut mold!
- I used malted chocolates as they are larger than the mini chocolate eggs and fill the nest better.
- If you don't want to pile all the little chocolate tubes for the nest just cover in buttercream then pat on toasted coconut for a similar effect.
- No buttermilk? Add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to whole milk. Mix and set aside for a few minutes then use in the batter.
- The coffee is optional. GO ahead and use water if preferred.
Serving: 0.5nest | Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 68mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1.3mg