Beautiful buttercream roses top a moist vanilla cupcake.
Servings 12 cupcakes
For the Cake:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cupsugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted butter room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Buttercream
- 1 pound unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 drop pink food coloring a very small drop
For the Cake:
Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the sprinkles at the very end and mix at little as possible.
Divide the mixture into cupcake papers
Bake at 340 for about 25 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch. Baking time depends on the size of your cupcakes
For the buttercream
Beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the sugar a cup at a time and beat well. Mix in cream until desired consistency is reached.
Separate the buttercream into two batches and mix in the pink food coloring into one batch.
Attach a 126 tip to a piping bag and fill bag with both colors of buttercream.
Use a spatula to create a cone of buttercream on the cupcake.Pipe a cone onto the cupcake. (sharp side of tip facing up)
Create the rose by making small arcs with the tip, which gradually increase in size as you get toward the edge of the flower.
- If you fill the bag with two different tones of the same color then your roses will have some more depth and realism. Just make sure that the point and the base of the petal tip has the different color butte creams on top.
- The most realistic roses have a higher center with lower petals on the outside. To get this effect mix a batch or VERY thick buttercream up and shape it onto a cone then place on the cupcake and use as a base for your petals.
- Lumps of sugar will be the end of you so as they clog up the petal tips and ruin your flowers. To avoid this I recommend sifting your confectioners' sugar at least once before mixing and make sure to use a paddle attachment!
Serving: 1cupcake | Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 160mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 0.8mg