This easy, delicious side dish is comes together in just a few minutes and is perfect for everything from weeknight dinners to special holiday meals.
Servings 6 people
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white ground pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced, optional
Peel carrots and cut on the diagonal into half inch thick slices.
Transfer carrots to a large pan and cover with water so all the pieces are submerged by about half an inch then place over medium head and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 7-8 minutes or until fork tender then drain and set aside.
Add the butter, brown sugar, salt, and optional pepper to the still warm pan. Place over medium-low heat and stir until mixed then add the carrots back in and toss to coat.
Increase temperature to high and cook for about 5 min, or until the glaze thickens, while stirring occasionally.
Garnish with minced parsley and serve warm.
- If using baby carrots you'll need to increase the cook time by about 2-3 minutes.
- So many spices can get added to this recipe! You can try 1/2 tsp cinnamon, a pinch of chili powder, nutmeg or ginger.
- You can cut the carrots into matchsticks if that's more visually appealing to you.
- These can be made up to three days ahead, just warm in the oven or microwave before serving.
- Try trading out a tablespoon of brown sugar for maple syrup or honey.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 280mg | Potassium: 379mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 19355IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg