The very best chicken enchiladas made with homemade enchilada sauce. Don't forget to check out my step by step photos and tips above!
Servings 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1.5 pounds cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 8 large 8" flour tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican-blend shredded cheese
- 1 batch homemade enchilada sauce or 1 10oz container
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper.
Preheat oven to 350F. Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and stir over heat for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
Add the garlic in and cook while mixing for a minute or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper to taste then add the shredded chicken along with 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce. Mix over heat for 2-3 minutes then set aside.
Spoon a few tablespoons of enchilada sauce over a tortilla then add a generous amount (1/8 the total) of the chicken mixture and top with cheese. Roll and place in your casserole dish. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
Spoon the enchilada sauce over the tortillas then top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F or until the cheese is melted.
Top with optional cilantro as well as whichever garnishes you enjoy.
- Don't forget to follow my recipe for homemade enchilada sauce it really takes this recipe to a whole other level and can be made in advance and frozen!
- To make this meal super quick use rotisserie chicken or leftover shredded chicken.
- If cooking the chicken yourself make sure not to overcook it or your filling will seem too dry.
- Be sure to not overfill your tortillas so they are easy to roll.
- Garnish ideas: fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream, or diced red onion.
- How to cook chicken breasts: Rub the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to a large skillet or pan and fry on one side for 4 minutes, flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Alternatively, you can follow my instant pot shredded chicken recipe!
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 599mg | Potassium: 424mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 302IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 319mg | Iron: 2mg