Chocolate Strawberry Cake
The most tender chocolate cake imaginable with fresh strawberries and a light vanilla mascarpone buttercream.
Servings 10 people
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs large
- 1 1/2 cups strong hot coffee I use a moka pot so it's basically espresso
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the Filling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 8 oz mascarpone room temperature
- 1 tbsp heavy cream plus more if needed
For the Ganache
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 4 cups strawberries hulled and sliced
- 16 strawberries with leaves removed approximately
For the Cake
Butter and flour 3 nine inch cake pans. I highly recommend using cake strips for a more even bake.
Sift together the dry ingredients (including the sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
Add the wet ingredients the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes.
Distribute batter evenly to the three pans and bake for about 35 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I recommend rotating the pans half way through the bake.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool fully.
- Make sure you don't over-mix the mascarpone as it will become grainy,and make sure it's completely room temperature before incorporating it.
- You can substitute whole milk yogurt for the sour cream if desired, I do it all the time and can’t really tell the difference.
- If you don't have buttermilk then use whole milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice mixed in.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 133mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 0.4mg