This simple and delicious vanilla buttercream is perfect for frosting cakes and cupcakes.
Servings 1 Batch
- 1 tbsp vanilla 15mL
- 1 lb confectioner's sugar 454g
- 1 cup unsalted butter 225g, room temperature
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream 45mL
- 1/2 tsp salt
Whip the butter and salt for about a minute using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. You can use a hand mixer instead if needed.
Sift in the confectioner’s sugar in several batches beating on low after each addition. Scrape the bowl down and repeat the process.
Add a tablespoon of the cream while mixing on low then add the vanilla. Beat until you have an even, fluffy consistency. You can add more cream or milk if desired for a thinner consistency.
- Sift your powdered sugar to avoid clogging piping tips.
- Scrape the bowl down; to help ensure even consistency throughout.
- You can use almost anything to flavor buttercream, fruit juice, coffee, orange blossom or rose water, melted chocolate, or Oreos!
- If your buttercream has been sitting for a while or was chilled and brought back to room temperature it's always a good idea to give it a quick whip to restore it's consistency.
- If you're looking for a very spreadable and very smooth icing, you can add the full amount of cream in (and maybe even a bit more).
Serving: 1batch | Calories: 3583kcal | Carbohydrates: 455g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 200g | Saturated Fat: 126g | Cholesterol: 549mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 54mg | Sugar: 445g | Vitamin A: 6335IU | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 0.3mg