Chocolate Raspberry cake
A decadent chocolate cake with a fudgey buttercream, chocolate ganache, and lots of fresh raspberries.
Servings 10 Slices
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 220g
- 1 3/4 granulated sugar 350g
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 75g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk 240ml
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil, or melted coconut oil 120ml
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 5mL
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong hot coffee3 240ml
For the Frosting:
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature, 565g
- 7-8 cups confectioners' sugar 875g
- 1.5 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 150g
- 5-6 tbsp heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups raspberries
- 1/4 cup apricot jam 60mL
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tsp brandy optional
Sift the dry ingredients. Whisk together.
Mix the wet ingredients and add eggs one at a time
Slowly add the dry mixture to wet. Mix until combined
Distribute batter evenly into buttered and floured 8 inch pans .
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 min or until the centers are set.
For the Buttercream:
Beat butter until light and fluffy
Add cocoa and sugar
Slowly add cream until desired consistency is reached.
Transfer to a piping bag.
Pipe buttercream between and add fresh raspberries between each layer.
Cover the cake with buttercream.
Smooth out as much as possible then chill.
For the Assembly
Add buttercream onto first layer and sprinkle with raspberries. Place second layer on top and repeat step.
Coat outside of cake in buttercream and smooth.
Top with ganache then add a mound of raspberries to the center.
Brush berries with apricot glaze.
- You can leave little gaps in the buttercream between each layer so your raspberries don't get crushed when you place them in.
- Adding an apricot glaze to the raspberries on top will preserve them so nothing will look sad of you make the cake in advance.
- If you don't have any buttermilk just add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to milk, miix and set aside to curdle.
Serving: 78g | Calories: 570kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 180mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1.1mg