Sweet, sticky and delicious Bourbon Chicken. Don't forget to check out my step by step photos and tips above!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 green onions chopped thinly for garnish
Mix the soy sauce, stock, bourbon, brown sugar and spices in a bowl then set aside.
Cut the chicken into half inch thick strips then cut into 1-2 inch pieces. Place in a bowl and toss with cornstarch so the pieces are coated.
Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot add the chicken in two batches. Cook on one side for about 3 minutes then flip. Do not move around, let it get nice and crispy.
Transfer chicken to a plate and add about two tablespoons of oil to you pan add garlic and cook while moving constantly until fragrant. less than a minute.
Pour in the sauce and use a wooden spoon to mix and deglaze the pan. Bring to a boil and cook for a minute then add the chicken back in and reduce to a simmer. Move the chicken to coat and cook until reduced by about half.
Garnish with sliced green onions and serve with rice.
- I usually end up using closer to a pound and a half of chicken for this recipe.
- There are a few red pepper flakes in this recipe that gives a subtle heat but if you'd like this to be extra spicy try adding in some sriracha, chili powder, or extra red pepper flakes.
- When cooking the chicken do it in batches and don't overcrowd the pan so it turns golden and crispy!
- Don't use an extra special Bourbon for this recipe, a less expensive brand will do.
- If you don't have bourbon you could use brandy, Scotch or Whiskey!
- If you prefer you can use fresh ginger instead of ground it will just give a stronger flavor.
- Brown sugar gives a delicious caramelized flavor you won't get the same results with white sugar.
- The sauce will thicken as it reduces thanks to the sugar and cornflour.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 1329mg | Potassium: 545mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 161IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg