Butternut Squash Soup
The textures of butternut squash, apple and a hint of curry will satisfy your cravings for the perfect soup!
Servings 4 people
- 1 butternut squash large to extra large
- 1 onion white, medium
- 1 apple medium, peeled, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 13.5 oz light coconut milk one can, 398mL
- 1 quart stock vegetable or chicken
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
Peel, core, and dice the apple. Peel de-seed and dice the butternut squash, and dice the onion.
Add two tablespoons of oil or butter to a large pot over medium heat and cook the onion and bay leaves until translucent making sure to stir frequently.
Add black pepper, curry powder, salt and cracked red pepper then stir in butternut squash and cook for about 10 minutes.
Pour in the stock and coconut milk then add in the apples and simmer for about 1 hour stirring occasionally.
When the squash is tender, remove from heat and pick out the bay leaves.
Let the soup cool slightly thee transfer to a blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. You could Instead use an immersion blender If desired.
Heat the soup on the stove or the microwave.
Garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream and some thyme or a drizzle of coconut milk or cream then serve with french bread.
- If you'd like to save time on prep use pre cut butternut squash.
- I've also made this soup with chicken broth and it tastes great too so no need to fret if you don't like veggie broth!
- I garnished the soup with a big dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh thyme. You could add some toasted coconut and curry powder with a drizzle of coconut milk instead for a dairy free variation.
- You can make this ahead of time and heat up just before serving so it's really great for a dinner party; I'm all about spacing work out when hosting a get together.
- Use spices you enjoy, a bit of ginger, or cardamom can be a nice addition.
Serving: 245g | Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 320mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2500IU | Vitamin C: 9.9mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.1mg