Delicious and easy to make caramel apples are the ultimate fall treat!
Servings 10 apples
- 10 Granny Smith Apples
- 2 cups brown sugar 400g
- 1 cup light corn syrup 240mL
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter 70g
- 1 1/2 cups cream 360mL
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 15mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Remove all stems from apples and wash in hot water. You want to remove the wax coating so you can either dip in boiling water for a few seconds or wash with hot water then rub vigorously with a paper or kitchen towel
Remove the stem and push an apple stick into core to create a handle.
For the Caramel:
Combine brown sugar, cream, light corn syrup, salt, and butter in a small pot.
Heat over medium-low heat while stirring until the butter has melted.
Cook without stirring while occasionally washing the side down with a wet pastry brush until the temperature reaches between 235-240F.
Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla then set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes. The caramel is ready for dipping once it's about 190F. You can always dip a test apple to see if it looks right.
Dip apple into the caramel, allow excess to drip off then place on a silicone sheet or piece of parchment paper to cool.
If desired you can add a drizzle of chocolate or roll in chopped nuts or sprinkles.
- Wash your apples well to remove the wax coating they come with. See below for my tips on that
- Don't leave that caramel unattended while it's on heat. You need to wash the sides down every once in a while and monitor the temperature.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the caramel, it will not conduct heat well, which is great because it will not change the temperature of your caramel or burn your hand!
- This recipe makes enough for about 10 apples, it you have caramel left over because you're dipping less apple just pour it onto parchment paper then cut and wrap after cooling for delicious caramels!
- Don't double this recipe for a bigger batch, you'll have an unwieldy mess on your hands. If you want a mega batch for a big party just make the first batch, transfer to a slow-cooker to keep warm then make the second batch and pour that in as well.
Serving: 1apple | Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 12mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g