Last year I tried to make mini candied apples. I ended up with a severe burn on my hand and little scoops of apple that had their candy coating melt off after 20 minutes… So, this year I made a bath of caramel apples and it went much, much more smoothly! I will caution you to let the caramel cool completely, like not even a little bit warm or it will just slide off the apples. You can even make it the day before and let it cool overnight. Chilling your apples helps too.
Delicious and easy to make caramel apples with a touch of chocolate.
- 5 Gala Apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Remove all stems from apples.
- Push a stick into core to create a handle.
Combine ingredients in a small pot.
- Heat over medium-low heat while whisking
Cook for 7-8 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool. (Make sure it cools COMPLETELY! Otherwise it won't stick and will slide off the apple)
- Dip apple into cup and twist. Coat with a thick layer.
- Let apples cool and harden.
- Melt chocolate and transfer to a piping bag.
- Snip off a small tip from the piping bag.
Squeeze on a thin line while twisting the apple. Continue until the apple is covered in a continuous thin line of chocolate.
- Using a thin tool, stripe through chocolate lines and caramel diagonally, switching to create a pattern.
Chocolate Caramel Apples
Homemade caramel is completely addictive and so easy to make! I covered my apples with it (in between eating spoonfuls of it) then piped a spiral of dark chocolate and create…