An easy to make and delicious cornbread perfect for the holidays.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 9 pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut oil 118mL, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar 133g, packed, light
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3g
- 1/2 cup buttermilk 118mL
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree 180mL
- 1 teaspoon salt 5g
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1g
- 1 cup cornmeal 120g
- 1 cup flour 120g, whole wheat or regular
Preheat to 350 degrees.
Butter and flour an 8-inch baking dish.
Whisk together coconut oil and brown sugar. Add eggs and mix.
Stir in baking soda, buttermilk and pumpkin puree. Add salt, cinnamon, cornmeal and flour. Don’t over mix.
Pour batter into the baking dish.
Smooth with a spatula.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or golden brown.
Serve with butter and honey.
- You can make the cornbread a day or two in advance. Warm in the oven before serving.
- I used coconut oil in this recipe but vegetable oil works perfectly well too.
- If you don't have buttermilk on hand use whole milk mixed with 2 teaspoons of white vinegar.
- If you really want to amp up the moisture of this dish then go ahead and add a 1/4 cup more pumpkin or sour cream to the batter. You can also trade off some of the cornmeal for all purpose flour to give the dish a more "cakey" texture.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 470mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g