If you hate shrimp/seafood in general but are for some reason taking a look at this post then you’ve GOT to make the tomato orange salad, it was just soooo amazing… The cherry tomatoes and oranges were really sweet but the dressing had all of these pickled shallots, which added a wonderful contrast and really made the dish for me. Fresh parsley and thyme were great in this as well. So for the sake of presentation I arranged this on the plate pretty carefully but you could just shop up the avocado and beet then mix in with the salad. It would probably be easier to eat and taste just as good. And by the way this is my new favorite dressing.
You can serve the shrimp warm or cold and it works both ways! You can make this dish with regular beets and oranges and the taste will be nearly identical. I’m just a sucker for those pretty colors!!
- Devein the shrimp by making a shallow slit down the middle. Mince the garlic.
- Peel the shell off the shrimp starting from where the legs are attached.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter.
- Pour some olive oil.
- Add minced garlic.
- Stir frequently for a few minutes. You can add a splash or white wine at this point too if desired, just increase the heat for a bit so the alcohol is cooked off.
- Add the shrimp and cook on both sides. In a double boiler, steam the beets at a rolling boil for about 30 minutes or until they become tender. When done, transfer to cold water and peel off the skin.
- In a small mason jar, add champagne vinegar and olive oil.
- Add salt.
- Squeeze some lemon juice.
- Chop up the shallot.
- Slice an avocado, blood orange, tomatoes and cooked beets. Arrange the sliced avocado and beets on the plate. Add a desired amount of shallots and dressing to the tomatoes and blood oranges. Sprinkle lemon thyme.
A light and refreshing dish featuring grilled shrimp, with avocado, candy beets and a salad of cherry tomatoes and blood oranges.
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 5 large shrimp
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado medium
- 2-4 chioggio beets
- 1 sprig of lemon thyme
- 1 blood orange chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ cup champagne vinegar
- 1 sprig lemon thyme
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Devein each shrimp. Mince the garlic. Chop the tomatoes. Slice an avocado, blood orange and beets.
In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter, and minced garlic. Stir frequently for a few minutes.
Add the shrimp and cook on both sides for a few minutes.
In a double boiler, steam the beets at a rolling boil for about 30 minutes or until they become tender. When done, transfer to cold water and peel off the skin.
Chop up the shallot.
In a small mason jar, add olive oil, salt, champagne vinegar, shallot and lemon juice.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to pickle.
Arrange the sliced avocado and beets on the plate.
Add a desired amount of dressing to the tomatoes and blood oranges.
Sprinkle lemon thyme.