Affogato translates to drowned, the ice cream or gellato is dowser with espresso for an amazing treat. Adding Baileys and some crushed candy cane takes this to a whole new level of deliciousness and is the perfect way to treat yourself or a small group this holiday season.
I love having Baileys on hand because you can make the most delicious things in just a few moments, it goes with basically everything so you can really have fun experimenting with it, it’s amazing in buttercreams, cake and cupcake batter as well as drinks!
How to Make a Baileys Peppermint Affogato
1. Get a big scoop of vanilla ice cream for you affogato and place it in a mug or coupe glass.
2. Sprinkle crushed candy cane over the ice cream.
3. Pour the Baileys Irish Cream in.
4. Top with freshly brewed espresso and enjoy!
Pro Tips for this Recipe
- You can use any ie cream you enjoy to make this. A traditional choice is Fior di latte gelatto.
- For added indulgence try a drizzle or chocolate ganache, which you can flavor with peppermint extract.
- This can be paired with cookies like Biscoff, shortbread, or any of your holiday favorites.
- You can serve an affogato in a coupe glass or a glass coffee mug, but either way it will be delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you crush candy canes?
Place candy canes in a plastic bag and tap with a rolling pin or mallet. The bag will prevent pieces from flying all over the place but is optional.
What flavors of ice cream can I use?
Vanilla is the most popular but the traditional flavor is fior di latte or “flower of milk” gellato. You can use any flavor you enjoy though. I love using peppermint ice cream when available to make these but they are also delicious with chocolate.
What’s the best way to serve an affogato?
I love presenting these in coupe glasses but they are equally delicious in glass mugs and lowball glasses. It’s best if you can see the ice cream melting into the espresso and Baileys.
If you’ve tried this Baileys Peppermint Affogato recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Baileys Peppermint Affogato
- Ice cream scoop
- 1/4 cup Baileys Original Irish Cream
- 1 scoop Vanilla Ice cream
- 2 tbsp crushed candy cane
- 1/4 cup espresso
- Brew the espresso and crush your candy cane.
- Add a large scoop of vanilla ice cream to a glass and pour the Baileys then espresso over it. Top with crushed candy cane and enjoy!