If you haven’t heard, a galette is the EASIEST pastry to make and is INCREDIBLY delicious! It’s basically a pastry-pizza. You can use any number of fruits to fill it. I like taking some fresh berries and a chilled bag of pastry dough to a friend’s house. You can just throw this dessert together over while you indulge in a glass of wine (or maybe two). Galettes are supposed to be rustic so there’s don’t stress out about the perfect edge or fold! Just enjoy… I know I did.
The easiest and most satisfying blueberry dessert ever!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 stick unsalted butter chilled, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup ice water
- 3 teaspoon sugar optional
- 4 cups blueberries plue blackberries for a mixture
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
Mix the dough.
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse briefly to mix (you can also do this by hand with two forks). Scatter the butter over the top and pulse just until the mixture forms coarse crumbs about the size of peas.
- Drizzle the ice water over the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface. Gently press together and work the dough. Remember the more you manipulate the dough the less flaky and amazing it will be.
- Divide into 3 equal pieces and press each into a flat disk. Set 1 disk aside and wrap the remaining 2 disks in plastic wrap for future use. I wrapped up all three and let the dough rest in the fridge overnight.
Roll out the dough.
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 13-inch round.
Fold the round in half, transfer to the prepared sheet and unfold the round.
- In a bowl, lightly stir together the berries, lemon juice, sugar and flour.
- Spoon the filling onto the dough, leaving a 2-inch border uncovered around the edge.
- Fold the edge up and over the filling, forming loose pleats. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the galette to a wire rack and let cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve. Pairs excellently with ice-cream and or chilled cream. YUM 😀