Whether you’re wanting to save money, save time, eat better, or all of the above, this super-simple Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe is your golden ticket! I lean on this versatile recipe to help make meal prep easier all week long.
On Sundays, I’ll throw a few chicken breasts in my trusty InstantPot, and before I can blink, I’ve got lunches and suppers covered for the week. What a dream!
This chicken is great for topping salads, stirring into casseroles, and so much more. Don’t miss my tips below for fun ways to shake this recipe up!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Overcook Chicken in an Instant Pot?
It’s much harder to overcook chicken in the instant pot but it is still possible. To make sure you don’t overcook your chicken follow our recipe and use the correct timings.
Should I use Fresh or Frozen Chicken Breasts?
I’ve tested this recipe using both fresh and frozen and they both give delicious results. The cooking time will be slightly longer if using frozen chicken but I’ve provided that information in the recipe for you to make it super easy!
How do you Shred Chicken?
Shredding chicken is so simple, all you need to do is remove the chicken from the instant pot to a bowl or cutting board and tear it apart using two forks. The chicken will shred easily and effortlessly.
Can I Make it in Advance?
Absolutely, you can cook and shred the chicken in advance then either freeze it or store it in the fridge to use for whatever you like, see my serving suggestions below.
How Long Will it Last?
The shredded chicken will store well in the fridge covered for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it in suitable containers or freezer bags and thaw as needed.
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
1. Add the stock or water to the instant pot with the trivet inside.
2. Place the chicken breasts on the trivet with the seasonings.
3. Next, add the herbs and garlic cloves.
4. Cook on high pressure (see my notes on using fresh or frozen chicken) then let the pressure release.
5. Remove the chicken and shred.
6. Drizzle over some reserved cooking juices and lemon juice and serve however you like.
How to Serve Shredded Chicken
This shredded chicken can be served in an endless list of ways from in salads to sandwiches, here are some ideas to try;
- Mix with a little mayo and any extra herbs you like and stack it on sandwiches with tomatoes, cucumber, bacon, lettuce or whatever you like.
- It’s the perfect way to make speedy chicken tacos, serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa and whatever veggies you like.
- Why not make chicken nachos? mix with some black beans, cumin, paprika and top with however much cheese you like!
- This chicken will go well with almost any salad you like, get creative and choose your favorite ingredients!
- Try adding it to pasta sauces or casseroles it’s super versatile!
Tips and Ideas for Making Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- The beauty of this recipe is that it adapts to your busy schedule. No time to thaw chicken? No problem; just increase the cook time as specified above.
- For this recipe, you can use whatever liquid you like. Water is perfectly fine; chicken broth or dry white wine will boost the flavor.
- Change up the flavors to suit whatever meal you have in mind. For a Mexican twist, add 1 teaspoon cumin, trade the lemon for lime, and sub cilantro for the thyme and rosemary.
- Store cooked shredded chicken covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 4 fresh or frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts see note below
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon divided
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Place trivet in InstantPot. Add 1 cup water or chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts in Instant Pot; sprinkle evenly with salt, pepper, paprika, and
- lemon zest.
- Squeeze 1 lemon half over chicken; add garlic, thyme, and rosemary to Instant Pot.
- Place top on InstantPot; twist to seal and lock. Turn Steam Release Valve to
- If using frozen chicken breasts, set InstantPot to cook at High Pressure for 14
- minutes. If using fresh, set for 12 minutes.
- After cooking is complete, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. After
- that, manually release the pressure by turning the Steam Release Valve to “venting.”
- Transfer chicken breasts to a bowl; shred using two forks.
- If desired, squeeze remaining lemon half over chicken, and toss with ¼ cup
- cooking liquid.
-The beauty of this recipe is that it adapts to your busy schedule. No time to thaw
chicken? No problem; just increase the cook time as specified above.
-For this recipe, you can use whatever liquid you like. Water is perfectly fine;
chicken broth or dry white wine will boost the flavor.
-Change up the flavors to suit whatever meal you have in mind. For a Mexican twist,
add 1 teaspoon cumin, trade the lemon for lime, and sub cilantro for the thyme and
-Store cooked shredded chicken covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.