It’s strawberry season and I basically lost my mind at the farmer’s market. I bought pounds and pounds of delicious ripe strawberries thinking I would be using them in salads, desserts and to snack on. I did all those things but still had a ton left over that were at peak ripeness and wouldn’t last long. What else could I do but whip some jam up??? My favorite part of making the jam was personalizing the flavor.
Preserves make wonderful little gifts. You can hand them off as a stand alone present or make a little gift basket with some fresh breads or scones and a selection of teas or coffees.
Why do you put lemon juice in strawberry jam?
Lemon juice adds a wonderful zing, which pairs nicely with the strawberries’ flavor but it also lowers the pH of the preserves. A lower pH, or more acidic, environment is less hospitable to bacteria and better for canned preserves!
What is the best strawberry jam?
- The best strawberry jam starts with fresh strawberries at peak ripeness.
- Make you strawberry preserves in the summer when delicious ripe berries are plentiful.
- Tailor the recipe to your taste, add thyme for an herbal infusion or rosewater for a floral boost.
Steps to make strawberry jam
How do you make homemade strawberry jam?
- Put a few small plates in the freezer.
- Wash and prepare the strawberries.
- Slice in half.
- Add sugar to a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add a splash of rose water
- Squeeze lemon juice and add lemon zest.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
- Let the sugar mixture melt and stir.
- Add the strawberries. Let the jam simmer on very low heat for about 1.5-2 hours. Stir every 8-10 minutes. Check to see if it’s ready by adding a small drop to the frozen plate. Return the plate to the freezer. After a few minutes, see if it has gelled into a jam consistency. When it’s done, pour the jam into a mason jar and chill for about 3 hours or overnight. I added lemon thyme to one of the jars. Serve on french bread or scones.
If you’ve tried this jam then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Home made strawberry jam is easy to make, delicious and infinitely customizable! Mine has a few drops of rosewater and a nice dash of lemon zest for zing!
For the Jam:
- 16 oz strawberries 545g, halved
- 1 cup granulated sugar 228g
- 2 tbsp rose water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Lemon thyme optional
For the Jam:
Put a few small plates in the freezer.
Prep the strawberries by slicing in half.
Add sugar to a medium saucepan over low heat.
Add a splash of rose water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook for about 10 minutes.
Let the sugar melt then add the strawberries.
Let the jam simmer on very low for about 1.5-2 hours. Stir every 8-10 minutes.
Check to see if it's ready by adding a small drop to the frozen plate. Return it to the freezer. After a few minutes, see if it has gelled into a jam consistency.
When it’s done, pour the jam into a mason jar and chill overnight. I added lemon thyme to one of the jars.
Serve on french bread or scones.
I tested my jam mixture almost 5 times before it was ready. Be patient with it!
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!