We are in sugar cookie season! My hoard of cookie cutters has grown — immensely — and I’ve been dying to try my hand at royal icing. What choice do I have but to start baking?! Is that just me?
A delightful, simple treat.
- 1 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 2 cup of white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven.
- Cool completely.
For the Icing:
- I used a standard Royal Icing recipe Which called for 2.5 cups of powdered sugar, 2 egg whites, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar a bit of water and food coloring.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Stir in the egg whites and beat until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and beat until combined. And add water 1/2 a teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add food coloring and stir! Allow to rest for 20+ minutes so air bubbles can escape.
- To flood the cookies you pipe an outline onto the cooled cookie.
- Then fill in the outline.