This shockingly easy, crisp, melt in your mouth shortbread cookies recipe comes together with five ingredients you probably have in your pantry!
The cookies keep for weeks when stored properly and you can make the dough well in advance for on demand treats!
Shortbread cookies aren’t just for the holidays! These delicious, perfectly sweet treats have a wonderful crisp texture and just dissolve in your mouth. I think they’re the perfect pairing for a cup or coffee or tea but fair warning, if you make a batch you’ll be snacking on them ALL day long!
Steps to make shortbread cookies
- Cream the room temperature butter.
- Add powdered sugar and while mixing on low.
- Scrape bowl down and add the flour while mixing on low. Scrape down again and mix until combined.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface and shape into a rectangular prism (brick shape). Wrap in plastic and chill until firm.
- Cut dough into half inch slices.
- Place pieces onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Use a fork or skewer to create a pattern on top. bake at 350F for 10 min.
Pro Tips for making Shortbread Cookies
- The cookie dough can be made well in advance. It keeps for about a week in the fridge and a month in the freezer. Make sure to wrap very well and allow to warm up just enough to cut.
- If your butter isn’t room temp just cut the sticks into a few slices and microwave on 50% power in 5 second bursts. Flip the butter with every burst.
- Liven these up with your favorite toasted nuts and spices for extra crunch and flavor.
- The dots on the bottom can be in any pattern you’s like so have fun trying different things out and by all means get the kids to help it you have little ones around.
How do you know when shortbread is cooked?
The cookies will JUST be starting to change color on the BOTTOM when ready to take out of the oven. If you want them extra crunchy go ahead and back a few more minutes until you see the edges become golden brown.
Are shortbread cookies and sugar cookies the same?
If you’ve tried this shortbread cookie recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Shortbread Cookies Recipe
This simple and satisfying, melt in your mouth shortbread cookies recipe you'll quite likely find irresistible!
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter unsalted butter, at room temperature 142g
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 180g
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt optional
Preheat to 350 degrees.
In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and vanilla extract until creamed.
Add confectioners sugar and salt; mix until combined.
Scrape bowl down and add flour while beating on low. Scrape bowl once more and mix until combined.
Shape the dough into a rectangular prism, wrap in plastic and chill until firm. At least an hour.
Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Use a sharp knife to cut 1/2 inch thick slices
Place slices, spaced at least an inch apart onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Use a fork or skewer to indent a pattern onto the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Rotate baking sheets in the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Transfer to a wire sheet to cool.
The cookie dough can be made well in advance. It keeps for about a week in the fridge and a month in the freezer. Make sure to wrap very well and allow to warm up just enough to cut.