Thumbprint cookies are the original no stress — ready in a snap — cookie. The bright colored jam filling reminds me of Autumn leaves and Christmas ornaments. I made these with a drizzle glaze but you can use chocolate, nuts or coconut flakes just as easily. Let me know which one you prefer!
How long do thumbprint cookies last?
If stored in a sealed container, freshly baked cookies will last for about 2 to 3 weeks at normal room temperature.
Do you have to refrigerate thumbprint cookies?
Thumbprint cookies can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container but you may refrigerate them in a sealed container if desired.
Can Thumbprint Cookies Be Frozen?
I don’t recommend freezing these cookies because the moisture of the jam makes this problematic. However, you can freeze the dough, then thaw, fill and bake when you’re ready for some delicious thumbprint cookies.
Steps To Make These Thumbprint Cookies
How do you make a thumbprint cookie?
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt and set it aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs letting each one fully incorporate before adding the next.
- Scrape down the bowl and with the mixer running on low, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until a dough starts to come together.
- Roll out the dough, wrap it in plastic and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll it into 1 1/4-inch balls and place them on an uncreased cookie sheet.
- Press a light indentation into the top of each cookie with your finger. (Or your thumb).
- Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation of every cookie. Bake them for 20-25 minutes
- Let them cool; you can also drizzle some icing over the cookies if you please. Then they’re ready to serve.
If you’ve tried these thumbprint cookies then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Delicious thumbprint cookies filled with your favorite jam are a fast and fun treat to enjoy!
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter 226g, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar 200g
- 4 cups all-purpose flour 480g
- 1/2 cup cornstarch sifted
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt 3g
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 5mL
- Strawberry and apricot jam
For the Cookies (Overview):
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
Sift together the flour cornstarch and salt.
In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy.
Add the eggs and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl.
With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Add vanilla.
- Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale they should each weigh 1 ounce.)
- Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger.
- Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation.
Bake for about 10 minutes at 375F (190C). Cool and serve.
Adapted from: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style