We love chicken at our house but it’s really easy to fall into a rut, repeating the same dish over and over! I wanted to try something new that my ultra-picky eater husband might like, so chicken Florentine it is! One of my favorite special treats growing up was spanakopita, basically a delicious Greek spinach pie, Chicken florentine is clearly not Greek but it has some of the same flavor notes! I love all the spinach in this recipe but you better believe I seasoned it and added lots of flavors in to liven things up. Very few people are enchanted by a pile of spinach…
Basically for this recipe you’re seasoning and browning some chicken breasts, popping them into the oven and while they bake you make the sauce and spinach so it all comes together roughly at the same time. I mixed up a some flour and seasonings to dredge the chicken in so it would brown a bit easier but it’s really optional. If you’re running short on time then go ahead and skip that part. I loved this dish served with some nice rice and because my husband and I are forever on a regime of some sort the rice is mixed 50/50 with riced cauliflower, which I seam. As long as there’s a bit of rice one the plate my brain is tricked into eating all that cauliflower and some calories are spared from my waistline/saved for cake.
1.Preheat oven to 350F. Dice onion and garlic.
2. Prep chicken breasts.
3. Whisk spices together.
4. Dredge chicken in the spice mixture.
5. Sauté chicken over medium heat until golden.
6. Cover with foil. Bake for about 20 min.
7. Cook butter, half an onion, half the garlic. Add wine, milk and gouda for the sauce.
8. Add the other half onion, half garlic, spinach. Cook down.
9. Scoop a bed of spinach, sauce, chicken, sauce and a garnish of parsley.
A delicious plate of baked chicken over a fluffy bed of spinach and the perfect sauce.
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp marjoram
- Dash of white pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt.
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 10 oz spinach 283g, frozen
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ¾ cup white wine
- ½ cup gouda shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine flour and spices. Whisk together.
- Clean and prepare chicken breasts.
- Tenderize the breasts with a mallet to flatten
- Dredge or dip chicken breasts in the flour seasoning mixture. Tap off any excess.
Add butter to a pan over medium high heat. Cook the chicken breasts until golden brown flip and repeat.
- Transfer the golden chicken breasts to a baking sheet. Cover in foil. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Dice an onion. Mince garlic.
In a pan over medium heat, add 2 tbsp butter, 1/2 diced onions, 1/2 minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Stir frequently and cook until translucent. Then add the spinach.
Stir until spinach has cooked down.
In another sauce pan, sweat out the rest of the onions until translucent over medium heat. Add garlic. Stir frequently.
Add wine. Cook until reduced.
Add milk and gouda. Mix.
- Transfer a bed of spinach to a plate. Spoon some sauce over the bed.
Add chicken, more sauce and a garnish of parsley.
This dish makes a really easy family dinner and you can do a lot of the prep work in advance.Spinach and sauce can be prepared beforehand so you can just make the chicken and assemble before serving.