Brussel sprouts have tons of flavor and texture. You can shred them finely and use in salads or cook them to soften and enhance their natural flavor. They’re GREAT with some olive oil and a sprinkling of salt but when you start adding candied pecans and bacon to the mix things get transformative!
A Few Tips
- Make this vegetarian! SKIP the bacon and you’ll love the dish.
- You can up the crunch even more by frying some breadcrumbs in butter until golden brown, season them with salt, pepper then sprinkle on top of dish before baking.
- Use your favorite cheeses and feel free to add more!
Steps to Make These Delicious Brussel Sprouts
- To candy your pecans, melt the butter on a small frying pan over low heat then add the brown sugar.
- Now add the pecans and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly until the mixture is caramelized. Once done, spread out on wax paper and chop them roughly once cooled.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lay the bacon strips out flat on a foil lined baking sheet leaving space in-between so they do not overlap. Roast the bacon until it is crisp, about 12 to 20 minutes, rotating half way through. (The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the bacon.) Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Pour the rendered bacon fat into a small dish and discard the aluminum foil. When the bacon is cool, finely chop the strips into small pieces.
- Increase your oven temperature to 425 degrees. Take out your Brussel sprouts, cut each of them in half and discard any extra leaves.
- Put the cut brussel sprouts into a mixing bowl and toss them with the the rendered bacon fat.
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Go ahead and give it a good mix! Now, pour the brussel sprouts onto a baking sheet. (I lined mine with parchment paper, but that’s optional.) Roast them for about 20 minutes stirring midway through to promote even browning until they are tender and caramelized.
- Once they are out of the oven, add the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.
- Toss them around to make sure they are all coated evenly. You can taste and adjust the seasoning then transfer to a serving dish. Right before serving, top with the chopped pecans and bacon. This dish can be served hot or room temperature. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried these brussels sprouts then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Brussels sprouts sautéed in sweet maple syrup and tangy balsamic vinaigrette, tossed with mouthwatering bacon and crunchy caramelized pecans. This delectable side dish is the perfect addition to any meal, at any occasion!
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbs butter
- 6 slices bacon thick cut
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts halved (stems and ragged outer leaves removed)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Melt butter in small frying pan over low heat. Add pecans and brown sugar. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is caramelized. Spread out on wax paper to cool. Chop roughly once cool.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lay the bacon strips out flat a foil-lined baking sheet, leaving space in between so they don't overlap. Roast for until bacon is crisp, 12 to 20 minutes, rotating half way (cooking time will depend on thickness of bacon).
Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels; pour rendered bacon fat into a small dish and discard aluminum foil. When bacon is cool, finely chop.
Increase oven temperature to 425°F. Cut each sprout in half. Toss sprouts with rendered bacon fat, olive oil, salt, and pepper, directly on baking sheet. Roast, stirring midway through to promote even browning, until Brussels sprouts are tender and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and drizzle balsamic vinegar and maple syrup and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning then transfer to serving dish. Right before serving, top with chopped pecans and bacon. Serve hot or room temperature.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!