This is a decadent amalgam of sweet potatoes, apples, marshmallows and pecans all held together with a buttery bourbon brown sugar trifecta of amazingness. 😂 Thanksgiving isn’t about holding anything back on the dinner table so why skimp on such a favorite staple? I might pour a little extra bourbon and butter into the mix while no one is looking… You can also cut the sweet potatoes into thin round slices and layer them with the apple if you want a more structurally solid dish, which is easier to cut and serve.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
A classic sweet potato casserole with apple slices, brown sugar and pecans!
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans divided Cooking spray
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cup peeled and sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in a dutch oven. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until soft. Peel and slice to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut apples into thin slices.
- Melt butter. Add in bourbon and vanilla.
- Mix together allspice, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
In a large, greased casserole dish, layer sweet potatoes and apples.
Drizzle butter and sugar mixtures between layers.
- Add marshmallows and chopped pecans on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden.