If you’re looking for the perfect, easy to make side dish with a nice fall vibe then mashed sweet potatoes is the recipe for you! They’re creamy and have a slightly sweet flavor with a subtle finish of maple.
What You’ll Need for This Recipe
Cream: You can use half and half or milk if preferred.
Sweet potatoes: Use 4 large or 6 medium sweet potatoes if you don’t have a scale to measure their weight.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and remove any inclusions or “eyes” then cut lengthwise and chop into slices about an inch thick.
2. Transfer the pieces into a large pot and fill with enough cold water to submerge the potatoes by about an inch. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until fork tender. This will be about twenty minutes but check for doneness as everyone’s stove is different.
3. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot then cook on low heat while stirring the pieces for about a minutes to help evaporate any excess water. Remove from heat and add the salt, cream, maple syrup and butter.
4. Mash the potatoes and mix together then add additional seasoning to taste.
Pro Tips for this Recipe
- Sharpen your knife! Dull knives are your enemy and much more likely to cause injury. Remove the dark imperfections, or eyes, from your sweet potatoes after peeling as they mar the look and have a tough texture.
- Cinnamon and your favorite fall spices go quite well in this dish so add your favorites.
- You can roast your sweet potatoes instead of boiling them if desired.
- Yes you can add some bourbon to this recipe and it will be delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you peel sweet potatoes before boiling them?
It’s best to peel the sweet potatoes before boiling. The skin would be tedious to remove from the cooked pieces and Sweet potato skin is too tough to be mashed into the final dish.
What is the difference between a sweet potato and a yam?
Yams and sweet potatoes are quite different however in the United States sweet potatoes are called both, while actual yams are not commonly available at supermarkets. Yams are less sweet, more starchy, and their skin is much rougher and more brown.
How long will it keep for?
Your mashed sweet potatoes will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator and up to 6 months in the freezer. Store them in an airtight container if refrigerating and a freezer bag if freezing.
If you’ve tried this Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Large Pot
- Potato masher
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 tbsp butter cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup cream or milk
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- cracked pepper to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes then cut lengthwise and slice into inch thick pieces. Transfer to a large pot and fill with cold water until the potatoes are submerged by an inch. Place pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and return the potatoes to the hot pot and cook on low heat while gently moving the sweet potatoes around for about a minute. Add the cream, maple syrup and butter then mash to the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste, I usually sprinkle in a teaspoon of salt but you can add more or less.
Leave a Reply