So I was perusing Pinterest — in an effort to try something new — when I fumbled upon these miniature, apple pies. I had to give it a go! That said, I differed from the original recipe in the respect that I didn’t want to use canned apple pie filling or pre-made pastry dough. That wouldn’t be the “preppy” way to go about it! Long story short… the extra steps were totally worth it! Don’t you agree?
Mini Apple Pies
Apple Pies are the ultimate treat... now they're mini, too!
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 pounds baking apples like Golden Delicious Cortland, or Mutsu
- 2/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling on the pie
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the apples soften and release most of their juices, about 7 minutes.
- Strain the apples in a colander over a medium bowl to catch all the juice. Shake the colander to get as much liquid as possible. Return the juices to the skillet, and simmer over medium heat until thickened and lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the reduced juice and spices. Set aside to cool completely.
- Roll your prepared pastry dough out o a well floured surface and use a round cutter to make your circles for the base.
- Preheat oven to 350 f.
- Brush caramel sauce onto the rounds. I made my own using this recipe but store bought is fine too.
- Chop the pie filling and and add 1-2 tablespoons onto each round.
- Cut strips of pastry and make a lattice on each round.
- Clean up the edges by recutting using the round tool.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Carefully 🙂
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy and Share!
For information on how to make the crust… Click over to my Pumpkin Pie post for all the details on a flakey perfect pastry crust!
Put the lemon juice in a medium bowl. Peel, halve, and core the apples. Cut each half into 4 wedges. Toss the apple with the lemon juice.
Add the sugar and toss to combine evenly.