These cupcakes might just be the perfect treat for Easter. The grass is super-easy to pipe and the little butts are easier than you might think! If you want to have both ends of the bunny, or just use less fondant you can make these bunny ear cupcakes too! Aren’t they cute? When I bake these I use normal cupcake papers then remove them after they’re all baked and cooled and pop them into these more decorative paper cups. Less if any staining and so much easier to calculate the fill amount and bake times.
I don’t normally post super-dramatic shots of cupcakes but I couldn’t help myself!! If you want to try the cake version of this cupcake head over to the Bunny Butt Cake post!
Steps to make these bunny butt cupcakes
How do you make bunny butt cupcakes?
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake papers in a cupcake pan. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together until incorporated. Including the sugar.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until combined. (The batter will be clumpy! Do not worry!)
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
4. Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake papers. Bake for 15-20 min or until golden and springy to the touch.
5. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the room temperature butter, confectioners sugar and salt until fluffy. Add green food coloring, milk, vanilla and mix until a desired color is reached. Save some buttercream in a bowl. Transfer the rest to a piping bag fitted with a small grass tip.
6. Dye some fondant pink. Roll 6 small circles and 2 small ovals for the pads of the bunny feet. Add to the feet.
7. Roll a ball of fondant against a cup or glass with a rounded bottom to create the body of the bunny.
8. Roll out 2 medium ovals for the feet. Add to the body. Roll a circle. Dip in water then in white sanding sugar. Attach to the body for a tail.
9. Assemble bunny butt.
10. Add on a layer of buttercream to the cupcake with a small spatula. This will be the bed of grass.
11. Pipe grass around the edge of the cupcake using a 233 tip.
12. Add the bunny butt. Fill in with the grass tip.
If you’ve tried these bunny butt cupcakes then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Bunny Butt Cupcakes
The perfect Easter treat!
For the Cake:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 213g
- 1 cup sugar 228g
- 1/4 tsp baking soda 1g, heaping
- 1 tsp baking powder 4g
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 176g, room temp
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsps vanilla extract 15mL
- 1/2 cup sour cream 133g
- 1/2 cup whole milk 113g
For the Buttercream:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter 228g,room temp
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar 463gg
- 2 tbsp whole milk 30mL
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
For the Decoration:
- 3 cups fondant approximately
- White sanding sugar
- 1 drop pink food coloring
For the Cake:
Sift the dry ingredients (including sugar) together in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined.
Divide the mixture into cupcake papers.
Bake at 340F for about 20 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch. Baking time depends on the size of your cupcakes.
For the Buttercream:
Beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the sugar a cup at a time and beat well. Mix in milk until desired consistency is reached. Add vanilla and green food coloring.
For the Assembly:
Use a spatula to add a layer of grass to the cupcakes. Transfer the rest of the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a 133 tip.
Roll fondant into small balls. Wet and roll in sanding sugar.
Press some fondant into a rounded glass or small bowl to form the body.
Roll some fondant out to a thin sheet. Use the back of a piping tip to cut circles for the feet. Roll the circles out a bit to form ovals. Mix the pink food coloring with a small amount of fondant. Roll out and use 2 small round piping tips to create the pads for the feet.
Assemble by brushing a small amount of water where the fondant needs to be joined.
Pipe grass around the edge of the cupcake. Place the bunny. Fill in with the grass tip.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!