While you could make your vanilla pudding from a packet I will always recommend making it from scratch. It’s just too easy and tastes so much better every time. I added a couple teaspoons of spiced rum to flavor mine but you can substitute for a bit more vanilla if you’d like. Doughnut holes are not hollow like choux so you’ll need to make some room in the middle either with your piping tip or a little knife. It’s really easy and SO GOOD when you bite into a cream-filled sugar puff.
Thanks so much to Krispy Kreme for partnering with me on this holiday recipe hack. You can find a whole bunch of delicious Krispy Kreme recipes in their new 2018 wall calendar, so click over and take a look! For more recipe inspiration, visit www.krispykreme.com/recipes .
If you’ve tried this doughnut croquembouche then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
A holiday hacked Croquembouche made with Krispy Kreme doughnut holes and vanilla pudding.
For the Croquembouche:
- 48 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnut Holes
- 1 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnut
- Foam Cone
- Christmas LED mini lights
- Edible gold leaf
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
For the Vanilla Pudding:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cups whole milk
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon spiced rum optional
For Vanilla Pudding:
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
- Add milk into the sugar mixture. Stir until a paste. Combine milk and egg yolks.
- Cook the mixture on a low heat, while stirring continuously. Let the mixture thicken and don't over boil. Turn off the heat. Add butter, rum and vanilla.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 230 piping tip.
Pipe pudding into each Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnut Hole. (You might have to make some room inside the doughnut hole with the tip in order to fill with the pudding.)
For the Star:
Roll out Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnut between plastic wrap.
- Cut out a star shape from flattened doughnut.
- Add gold leaf to the star.
For the Assembly:
- Pierce the foam cone with toothpicks.
- String lights between toothpicks.
Attach Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnut Holes.
Dust with confectioners sugar.
- Using a toothpick, attach the star.
If you want to whip up a batch of traditional pastry cream and or choux puffs then click over for my cream puff recipe! Just pipe dots instead of bars unless you want an eclair tree, LOL.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!