As many of you know my mom is the bakesperation in my life. So you can imagine how excited I was when she came over for a visit and helped me to make this white chocolate mermaid cake for my niece’s birthday! I made a two-tone frosting for the inside and the scales to get a more aquatic affect. What do you think??
Mermaid Birthday Cake
Super moist vanilla cake with white chocolate buttercream.
For the Cake
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cupsugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt whole milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
For the Buttercream:
- 3 sticks salted butter
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 12 ounces white chocolate melted with 1/4 cup cream and cooled.
- Food coloring if desired
For the buttercream
- Melt the white chocolate and cream together at very low heat, set aside.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the sugar a cup at a time and beat well. Drizzle in the white chocolate and beat until combined.
Separate the buttercream into 2 equal batches and color two of the batches with blue and green food coloring in different shades of the scales.
For the Cake
- Butter and flour 3 six-inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 350F
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into 3 6″ cake pans that have been buttered and floured.
- Bake at 340 for about 25-30 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch.
- Pipe the petals using large round tip.