This decadent easy to make chocolate lava cake will melt on your plate and in your mouth!
This is LITERALLY melt-in-your-mouth-perfection!!! So delicious. So easy to make. Let me know if you agree!
Pro Tips for Making Chocolate Lava Cake
- Use a high quality chocolate. This is the main flavor and you will taste the difference when using a better ingredient.
- The bake time will change based on the size of your ramekins and your oven’s idiosyncrasies so it’s a good idea to do a test batch before you serve these at a dinner party.
- Try adding a flavor you enjoy like orange zest, raspberry reduction or a hit of caramel.
IF YOU LOVE Chocolate TRY THESE recipes OUT!
How to make chocolate lava cake
- Chop 6oz of semisweet chocolate then transfer it and the butter to a bowl then heat.
- Stir until it’s smooth.
- Whisk 2 eggs and 2 yolks with a pinch of salt, then add 1/4 cup of sugar and mix in a stand mixer until a light yellow color and thicker in texture
- Fold in the chocolate.
- Add flour and mix in.
- Transfer the batter to buttered and floured ramekins.
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 6-8 minutes.
- Let them sit for a minute before transfer them to a dessert plate.
- Sift with powdered sugar then enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is inside lava cake?
Inside chocolate lava cake is the batter which has warmed during baking but hasn’t fully set. The key is to bake just until the sides are set but the inside is still molten. A very small amount of flour is used in these cakes giving a rich creamy texture.
Can you reheat lava cake?
You can reheat this chocolate lava cake by putting it in the oven upside-down on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
If you’ve tried this chocolate lava cake recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbs flour
- Preheat oven to 450F. Butter and flour your ramekins.
- Melt the butter with the chocolate on low heat in a double boiler or in the microwave. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the egg yolks, sugar and salt until thickened and pale. An electric mixer will work best.
- Fold the chocolate mixture and flour into the egg mixture. Pour the batter into the ramekins and bake at 450 for 6-8 minutes, it really depends on your oven.
- Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for a minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and then unmold. Sift powdered sugar on top and garnish with berries if desired. Serve immediately.