Chocolate, cherries, and whipped cream. Basically heaven…
Chocolate and cherry... a sinfully DELICIOUS duo!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven racks in the upper and lower third of the oven. Lightly butter and flour, and line the bottoms of three – 8 x 2 inch deep round baking pans with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine the coffee (or water) and buttermilk.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about three to five minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine. Then add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated.
- Add the coffee/buttermilk mixture and flour mixtures in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until the ingredients are mixed together.
- Divide the batter evenly among the three prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for about 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Rotate the pans about halfway through baking to ensure even baking. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Butter or lightly spray with a non stick vegetable spray a wire rack before inverting the cakes onto the rack to prevent the cakes from sticking. Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
Mix cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until it reaches the soft peak stage.
Mix cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about ten minutes.
4 ounces (115 grams) semi sweet chocolate, chopped
2 1/4 cups (270 grams) cake flour
3/4 cup (70 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (240 ml) lukewarm coffee
1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
1 1/4 cups (280 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cups (450 grams) granulated white sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cherry Filling and Topping:
About 3 cups fresh or frozen sweet dark cherries, pitted (If you are using fresh cherries you will need to add 1/4 cup water)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract