What could be more beautiful than a vanilla cake layered with delicate, pink buttercream? Topped with a stunning peony, too? Dear Lord.
Peony Vanilla Cake
A stunning cake!
For the Cake:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 213g
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 1/4 tsp baking soda 1g, heaping
- 1 tsp baking powder 3g, heaping
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 176g, room temperature
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream 120ml, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk 120ml, room temperature
For the Buttercream:
- 1 lb confectioner's sugar 462g
- 2 sticks unsalted butter 228g
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 120ml
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
- Food coloring if desired
- 1 Peony
- Floral tape
- 1 sprig of sweet pea flowers
For the Cake:
Butter and flour three 6-inch pans. I use damp cake strips on my pans for more even baking as well. Preheat oven to 340F.
Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the wet ingredients together.
Add the wet to the dry and mix until combined. Divide the mixture evenly into the cake pans. I like to use a kitchen scale to measure for even layers.
Bake for 30 -35 minutes or until the centers are set and springy.
Let the layers cool in the pans for about 4 minutes, then dump each layer out onto a cooling rack.
For the Vanilla Buttercream:
Beat the room temperature butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, food coloring and heavy cream. Mix together until a desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a piping bag.
For the Assembly:
Pipe buttercream between the cake layer.
Cover the cake with a thin crumb coat and chill for a few minutes. Smooth out.
Once the cake has chilled, pipe buttercream on the outside of the cake. With a steady hand and work your way around the cake until it is completely covered with the buttercream.
- Using floral tape, prep the stem to be smooth. Add to the top of the cake.