Do you ever just want a bite or two of something sweet and or chocolatey, to satisfy a craving? I don’t always have a slice of cake at the ready — shocking considering how much I bake — so I decided to whip up some truffles.
Since the weather is cooling down a bit, I used a drop (1/4 cup) of brandy, which helps to warm things up. I finished them off with a quick roll in the toasted coconut, pecan, powdered sugar, or cocoa powder. Soooo GOOD!
Does anyone else remember those little chocolates in the shape of liquor bottles? Not sure if I should have had those as a kid, but I guess the 80’s were a different time Enjoy this adult version of that.
I thought the toasted coconut would be my favorite but pecans were soooo good they took the lead. Mind you mixing pecans, coconut and some cocoa together might just make the perfect truffle…
At first I had imagined perfect spheres of chocolate for my truffles but these more “rustic” blobs had an appeal of their own. Once you roll them in pecans or coconut they end up rounder.
Those truffles are calling my name! I’ve kept a stash in the freezer and they make a perfect treat!
Do chocolate truffles have real truffles?
Truffles get their name because the look like truffles, those delicious fungal tubers. Chocolate truffles to not generally have any actual truffle in them.
Are all truffles chocolate?
Truffles are made of a soft chocolate ganache center shaped into spheres, cones or little blobs some type of coating to keep them from sticking together. Common coatings are cocoa powder, chopped nuts, thin shells of hard dark, milk of white chocolate, or confectioner’s sugar.
Steps to Make Chocolate Truffles
How do you make chocolate truffles?
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water making sure the water isn’t touching the bowl. You could also use a microwave at 60% power in three thirty second bursts.
- Add the cream to the melted chocolate and whisk to combine. Now go ahead and pour in the brandy and whisk until fully combined. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for about and hour.
- Give your pecans a fine chop, transfer them to a baking sheet, spread them out and toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350F and do the same with the shredded coconut.
- Once your Chocolate is done chilling, use a teaspoon to scoop the chocolate mixture into balls and place on a sheet or parchment paper.
- You can round the balls out by giving them a quick roll in your palms if desired.
- Now cover the truffles in either the pecans, toasted coconut or cocoa powder and enjoy!
If you’ve tried these truffles then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
These scrumptious chocolate truffles come together in a snap, are beyond addictive and yes they're brimming with brandy!, rolled in toasted coconut, cocoa powder and toasted pecans they're impossible to resist.
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate 340g
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter 42g
- 1/4 cup brandy 60mL
- 1/3 cup heavy cream 78mL
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut 50g, toasted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 50g
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans 55g, toasted
Melt the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water making sure the water isn't touching the bowl. You could also use a microwave: add the chocolate to a medium-sized bowl. Microwave at 60% power in three thirty second bursts. Cover and set aside.
Add the cream to the melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
Pour in the brandy and whisk together until fully combined.
Transfer to a refrigerator and chill for about an hour.
Use a teaspoon to scoop the chocolate mixture into balls. Place on a sheet or parchment paper. you can round the balls out by giving them a quick roll in your palms if desired.
Cover the truffles in the coating of your choice. Store in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!