These decadent peanut butter chocolate chip cookies have a tender texture and SO MUCH peanut butter flavor, which is nicely complemented by lots of chocolate and giant flakes of sea salt to balance the whole thing out. These cookies are a must try for all peanut butter lovers!
This peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe makes a BIG batch of cookies but you’ll find they disappear very quickly so don’t think you’ll be able to squirrel away that much extra dough to freeze and bake later!
I topped my cookies with a generous sprinkle of Malden’s sea salt and they were just plain delicious. It added a lot of visual interest and those little bursts of salt were just the perfect accompaniment to the sweetness and peanut butter flavor in the cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much peanut butter should you add?
Adding or subtracting a few tablespoons of of peanut butter actually makes a noticeable difference in this recipe. I recommend using 370g for a cookie with TONS of peanut butter flavor and an ultra tender texture. The baked cookies will almost feel like velvet when you touch them but still be crisp. Using 20 grams less peanut butter gives a much more stable cookie; it won’t crumble as easily but if doesn’t have that melt in your mouth consistency and of course there is a bit less peanut flavor too.
What’s the best peanut butter to use for cookies?
You can use smooth or crunchy peanut butter in this recipe but make sure you’re either using a stabilized spread like Jiffy. If you use one of the natural peanut butters then just pour the excess oil that separates out or at least make sure to mix up the peanut butter really well. A creamy peanut butter with thicker texture works best for these chocolate peanut butter cookies.
How long should you bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies for?
I like a crisper cookie so my personal batch baked for 15 minutes. If you like a chewier soft cookie then under-bake them (approximately 10 minutes) so the edge is just turning color. The centers will collapse a bit after baking and have a super-tender texture. Baking time will also depend on the size of you cookies. Mine were scooped with a medium ice cream scooper and weighed about 50 grams each.
Do you have to chill the cookie dough?
While I recommend chilling the dough it’s not necessary if you’re in a rush. Chilling the dough will cause the cookie to spread less during baking but these won’t flatten out completely if baked from room temperature dough. Just add some extra space between them on the baking sheet.
How to make Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then start off by sifting the flour and baking soda into a bowl.
- Cream the butter in a stand mixer (a hand mixer will work too) on medium speed until it becomes smooth.
- Scoop the peanut butter into the bowl of your standing mixer and continue to beat on medium speed until they are fully combined and the mixture is creamy.
- Scrape down the bowl and pour in the granulated sugar and brown sugar. Mix on medium until the mixture becomes lighter in color and is smooth.
- You can now add the vanilla and salt in at this point then continue running your mixer reducing the speed to low.
- Now add the eggs one at a time, making sure they both fully incorporate. Scrape down your bowl and continue mixing for about 1 minute.
- Turn off your standing mixer and pour in the flour. Start mixing on low then to high just until the flour is combined.
- Time to add the chocolate chips! Pour them in and run your mixer on low. Make sure the chocolate chips are evenly spread throughout the dough.
- Drop about 2 tablespoon-sized balls of dough about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the cookies are golden around the edges but soft in the center. Allow to cool on baking sheet so the cookies can set a bit.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!
If you’ve tried these chocolate peanut butter cookies then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 270g
- 3/4 tsp baking soda 4g heaping
- 1 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter 260g
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature 226g
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar 135g
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar 200g
- 1/2 tsp salt 3g plus more for top
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract 10mL
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips 265g
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside.
- Combine the butter and peanut butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture; mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop 2 tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Mine were about 50g each.
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 10 to 15 minutes. The longer bake time will give you a crisper cookie.
- Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.